"If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail."
- Benjamin Franklin
Estate Planning - What is it and Who Needs it
For some, estate planning is nothing more than a set of generic documents arranging for who gets what at the time of death. We believe, however, that estate planning is much more than that. We sit down with our clients and listen to their hopes and goals. We take the time to get to know each client at a personal level and determine just what matters most. We then design a customized plan to accomplish the client's goals.
Whether you know it or not, you already have an estate plan. Every state in which you reside or in which you own property has determined, regardless of what you may want, who receives your assets. Your loved ones will need to go through the probate process in every state which can be costly, time-consuming and public. In short, if you want to ensure that your concerns and goals are achieved, you need a customized estate plan.
Revocable Living Trust Centered Estate Plan
Over the years, we have found that a Comprehensive Revocable Living Trust Centered Estate Plan is the most effective way for clients to achieve their goals.
Benefits of a Revocable Living Trust Centered Estate Plan
- Avoids the delay and cost of probate (in NY the average time for probate of a simple uncontested estate is between 9 and 18 months; the cost averages between 2%-7% of the total gross estate);
- Allows for control of assets in different states and avoids the need for multiple probate proceedings;
- In the event of incapacity, it allows for the control of assets by someone of your choosing and in accordance with your desires, and avoids court controlled and public guardianship process;
- You retain control of your assets during your life and can easily be revoked or modified without court intervention;
- Can protect heirs from themselves, their creditors and events such as divorce and lawsuits;
- Provides maximum privacy;
- Can reduce or eliminate taxes
In addition to our estate planning services, we also assist clients with the following related services:
- Charitable giving planning
- Estate Administration and Probate
- Real Estate